In this episode of SCI TALK, we are joined by Tom Jernstedt of the College Football Playoff Selection Committee. He shares his fascinating experience with this historic change in NCAA Athletics along with insights from the past 40 years of overseeing college championships.
Listen to this episode of SCI Talk
About Mr. Jernstedt:
Former NCAA Executive Vice President
- Served as senior-level executive, including executive vice president, deputy executive director and chief operating officer, throughout 38-year NCAA career (1972-2010).
- Supervised NCAA Division I, II and III football, including NCAA Football Board of Directors, College Football Officiating LLC and Football Issues Committee.
- Recruited by legendary football coach Len Casanova; four-year scholarship student-athlete, University of Oregon (1963-1967).
Current Occupation: Senior counselor, The Jernstedt Company.
- Consultant, Mountain West Conference (2012-2013); Big 12 Conference (2010)
- Oversaw development of 88 Division I, II and III men’s and women’s NCAA championships. Staff liaison to numerous external Association-related committees.
- Directed all facets of NCAA basketball, increasing multi-year television contract revenue from $1.2 million (1972) to $10.8 billion (2010).
- Led various internal functional groups: administration and finance, championships and event management, communications, membership services, public affairs, branding and promotions, broadcasting and corporate alliances.
- Facilitated NCAA governance plan that incorporated women’s championships into NCAA structure (late 1970′s).
- Indianapolis Super Bowl Host Committee, Board of Directors (2009-2012).
- National Football Foundation, Legacy Award (2010).
- National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame, Inductee (2010).
- USA Basketball, Edward S. Steitz Award (2010).
- Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, John Bunn Award (2001).
- USA Basketball, Board of Directors (1976-2010), President (2000-2005); United States Olympic Committee, Board of Directors (1974-2002).
- Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Board of Trustees (1989-2010).
- US Collegiate Sports Council, Board of Directors (1987-2010), VP (2004-2010).
- Held three athletic administrative positions at University of Oregon (1969-1972).
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, University of Oregon (1967).
- Master’s degree in education, University of Oregon (1973).
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS